Innovative workstations that help encourage activity while you work
Join the stand-up revolution with a sit-stand desk, designed to get office workers up and moving more. Choose from a variety of sit-stand desk shapes, sizes and mechanisms to fight aches, injuries, cardiovascular disease and other unhealthy effects of prolonged sitting.
Using a sit-stand desk to move from sitting to standing throughout the day can help you manage the health risks associated with prolonged sitting, which include obesity, diabetes, high blood pressure and heart disease. A sit-stand desk can also discourage you from staying too long in the same posture, which can sometimes cause musculoskeletal disorders (MSDs) such as back pain and RSI.
JOSHO Homeworker Electric Sit-Stand Desk(1)From £529.14 £440.95
DeskRite 350 Electric Sit-Stand DeskWas £993.54 £827.95 From £769.99 £641.66
Portable Height Adjustable Desk v2Now £201.77 £168.14 Was £260.34 £216.95
Levado™ Sit-Stand DeskWas £1,019.94 £849.95 From £790.45 £658.71
DeskRite 550 Electric Sit-Stand DeskWas £1,448.34 £1,206.95 From £1,122.47 £935.39
Smart Slot Sit-Stand Homeworking DeskWas £271.14 £225.95 From £210.13 £175.11
What is a sit-stand desk?
Sit-stand desks (also called standing office desks) are office desks that can be either manually or electronically adjusted to sitting or standing height throughout the day. This helps prevent problems associated with prolonged sitting by providing the ability to move between two working positions.
Why buy a sit-stand desk?
Many studies show that sitting for more than 6 hours a day is linked to being overweight, obese, having type 2 diabetes, some types of cancer and even premature death.
With technology such as computers, television and video consoles changing our work and leisure habits, it seems we’re spending increasing amounts of our lives sitting down. There is no doubt this is seriously impacting office worker health. In fact, a substantial piece of research on the topic found that a sedentary lifestyle can cause:
- 112% increase in risk of diabetes.
- 147% increase in cardiovascular events.
- 90% increase in death caused by cardiovascular events.
- 49% increase in death from any cause.
An adjustable-height sit-stand desk gives you the option to sit or stand throughout the day, keeping your muscles active and reducing the risk of aches and pains caused by repetitive movements.
How high should a standing desk be?
Standing office desks can be adjusted and customised to whichever height the user finds the most comfortable. Having said this, there are a few things to consider when deciding on an optimum height:
- Desk accessories should be easily reachable.
- The user must be able to see any computer screens directly in front of them without moving the neck.
- Elbows should be resting at a 90-degree angle at full height.
What are the benefits of a sit-stand desk?
- Increased alertness, concentration and productivity.
- Improved blood circulation.
- Relief from muscle ache caused by static posture.
- Flexibility to adjust your working position to the task at hand.
- Burn more calories.
How do you setup a standing desk?
Setting up a standing desk is virtually identical to a regular fixed height desk. However, there are some additional steps to acknowledge:
- Assembly: Take note of the manufacturer’s guidance when it comes to assembly. While instructions may vary, it’s important your desk is assembled correctly.
- Sitting: When sitting, ensure that your back is resting in an upright, comfortable position. This is also your opportunity to arrange any desk accessories functionally.
- Standing: Your standing position shouldn’t vary much from your sitting position. Everything should feel natural and effortless while moving between two positions.
- Avoid slouching: Sometimes, it can be tempting to kneel or lean on your desk while standing. This has a great impact on our posture and should be avoided at all costs. So, when setting up your new standing desk, be sure to stand up straight.
- Alternating positions: Once you’ve found your optimal seated and standing position, you are ready to begin using your new standing desk. Be sure to alternate between both positions throughout the day at a 1:1 ratio. So, for every hour, you should stand and sit for 30 minutes each.
With these steps complete you’ll be well on your way to enjoying a much more pleasurable ergonomic working experience. If you need more help, have a read through our useful advice sheets such as our guide on active working for sit-stand desks.
How can I ensure my sit-stand desk is set up correctly?
Have your new desk delivered and set up at a time convenient to you with our market-leading delivery partner. Trained technicians will make sure you’re as comfortable and confident as possible with your purchase – and they’ll even conveniently remove and recycle all the packaging afterwards so you’re ready to go.
Some desks excluded. Please check the respective product ‘Delivery and Returns’ section to see if this service is available.
What size sit-stand desks do you sell?
No matter what type of office you’re upgrading, there’s a sit-stand desk that’s perfect for almost any space. These customisable desks are available in a variety of profiles and are great for both home office and regular work use.
Can Posturite help me choose a suitable sit-stand desk?
With so many different options available, there’s a standing desk for everyone at Posturite. Warranty’s range from five to 15 years, giving you complete peace of mind with every purchase.
Please note that we only stock certain sizes in our warehouse; as such, delivery times may vary between products. Be sure to check the estimated lead time on our product pages before ordering.
Get in touch with us today to see how we can help you unlock a more ergonomic workplace.